"In an era when we can image the brain as an individual reads and literally see the brain at work, it is unacceptable to have children and adults struggling to read when they could benefit from what modern neuroscience has taught us about reading and dyslexia."
Sally Shaywitz, "Overcoming Dyslexia", c.2003, pg 6.
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT DYSLEXIA?
- Dyslexia is a language-based learning disability or disorder that includes poor word reading, word decoding, oral reading fluency and spelling
- Dyslexia in not just about getting letters or numbers mixed up or out of order
- Over 50% of NASA employees are dyslexic
- It is estimated that 1 in 10 people have dyslexia
- Over 40 million American Adults are dyslexic - and only 2 million know it
- Dyslexia is not tied to IQ - Einstein was dyslexic and had an estimated IQ of 160
- Dyslexia occurs in people of all backgrounds and intellectual levels
- Dyslexia has nothing to do with not working hard enough
- 20% of school-aged children in the US are dyslexic
- Dyslexia is hereditary
- Dyslexics may struggle with organizational skills, planning and prioritizing, keeping time, concentrating with background noise.
- People with dyslexia excel or even gifted in areas of art, computer science, design, drama, electronics, math, mechanics, music, physics, sales and sports
SOURCES: American Dyslexia Association, The International Dyslexia Association, The Dyslexia Center, The Dyslexia Foundation, The Child Mind Institute
READING DOESN'T HAVE TO BE DIFFICULT
SpellRead, a results-driven, scientifically evaluated, intensive reading intervention program for students who struggle with reading acquisition, for students who are not fluent readers, and for students who do not retain or comprehend what they read. The research-based instructional methods help students overcome phonological auditory processing problems (how sounds are organized) frequently associated with students who have reading disabilities.
Everyone has a different situation. To understand why SpellRead might be right for yours, click here.
SIGNS AND KEY INDICATORS